Saturday, April 4, 2009

Dog Park!



We recently took the little guy to the dog park at Hawk Island (which is right next to where we are moving soon) I was a little nervous as to how it would be for Oliver. Sometimes he can be 'funny' around large dogs. Cesar the famed 'Dog Whisperer' says that dog parks aren't that great because you are at the mercy of the least emotionally stable dog's behavior. I can see how this would be true. Regardless, we really wanted to see if Oliver could get some socialization with other dogs there and be free to run and play with out a leash for a while. We were pleasantly surprized! There were approximately 100 dogs there this particular Thursday afternoon and everyone sniffed eachother politely and played happily. I have never seen Oliver appear so jubilant and happy. He would run, play and explore but after a few minutes he would touch base with us for petting and treats or just look to make sure we were still there. It reminded me of when I would seek out my mother when I was playing somewhere and wanted reassurance that I hadn't lost her. It was really sweet. I had no idea how fast he was or how long he could gallop at full speed. We will try to get him there at least once a week. Our first time was two hours. I completely lost track of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment